Acknowledgements

Archival research was made possible through a URC-New Researcher Grant endorsed by the Faculty of Arts and the Centre for Asia Pacific Social Transformation Studies (CAPSTRANS) at the University of Wollongong. The author thanks the dedicated and very helpful archivists at the National Archives of Australia, National Library of Australia, National Film and Sound Archive, State Records of South Australia, NSW Public Records Office and Australian Patent Office in Canberra and Melbourne. Additional thanks go to Joy Damousi and Desley Deacon for extending an invitation to join this exciting project and to Kate Bowles and Chris Barker for their helpful feedback and continuing collegial support. An earlier version of this chapter appears as ‘Projecting Sounds of Modernity: The rise of the local “talkie” technology in the Australian Cinema, 1924–32’, Australian Historical Studies, vol. 35, no. 123, April 2004, pp. 54–83.